Tuesday, December 22, 2020



Just finished reading Jesus and John Wayne: How White Evangelicals Corrupted a Faith and Fractured a Nation.  This is not the normal type of book that I read.  I had heard so much about this book. With the political climate in the US being so toxic, I felt I needed to get a different perspective than what I normally read or hear.  

This book was well researched.  I learned a lot about the evangelical world that I grew up in but didn't know the backstories.  I remember being part of the Regan revolution while in high school.  I remember the Moral Majority and the Christian Coalition.   Kristin Kobes Du Mez taught me quite a few facts about those groups that I never knew.  If I had one issue with her book it was she obviously wrote from a bias against white evangelicals.  I realize I am white and an evangelical, but I do not appreciate being lumped in with everyone.  I have my own views and convictions.


Du Mez exposed a problem that I've been dealing with for the last few years.  Several evangelical leaders have sold their souls to politicians in order to get Supreme Court nominees and other political favors.  I am as pro-life as anyone, but some of the excuses that Christian leaders give to support morally corrupt individuals is disturbing.  Two years ago I wrote in a candidate because I could not vote for either candidate.  One was because they were pro-abortion and the other because he had some moral issues that were contrary to my faith.

The other issue Du Mez brought up that is extremely disturbing to me is the cover-up that some Christian leaders have done for other Christian leaders who were exposed for moral failures.  We all have sinned and this is not meant to point fingers.  But Christian leaders, especially pastors, should be held to a higher standard.  I have a family member who was hurt by a clergy member.  The church should be a safe place for people.  Its leaders should be trustworthy and not prone to taking advantage of people.  

I would recommend this book but understand that the author does have a political slant that may be different.   I would give it 4 out 5 hockey sticks (a joke for those who remember my old blog).  

No comments:

Post a Comment