Monday, March 3, 2014

Debt Free living

Owe nothing to anyone except to love one another; for he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law. (Romans 13:8 NASB)
With so much turmoil on the earth, world leaders try every diplomatic way to achieve peace. Nations have summits, visit each other's countries and write treaties. We can't even get along in our own nation, so how do we think we will achieve world peace? National peace? Most people don't even have peace at home. How do we achieve peace?

Have you ever owed anything? Of course that is a dumb question cause we live in a country that is in debt over our heads.  We try to live debt free financially & that prevents us from going places we'd like to go. But we don't feel the financial burdens of having to pay off those debts either. Unfortunately medical bills arise and cause stress, so I do understand debt.  I believe the worst debts I encounter in my care sessions are relationship debts. I've met financially broke people who had joy overflowing because their relationships were solid. They had few regrets. But when I encounter a person who has relationship debts, they struggle to make it through each day. Everyone needs to be loved. Everyone!

As I was studying my Bible I came upon the verse above. I'm sure I've read it 100's of times but today it hit me like a ton of bricks. God doesn't want us to owe anything to anyone but to love them. If you think about it, if we truly loved the way Jesus taught us to we wouldn't have the turmoil we have in our homes. We wouldn't have wars & crime. I realize that we live in a sinful world, but what would happen if just a few believers in Jesus truly loved unconditionally? What would happen if American churches loved and owed nothing to anyone but love? What if followers of Jesus became known for love instead of what we are against?

Maybe the law would actually be fulfilled.....

No comments:

Post a Comment