Monday, July 15, 2019

Serve Day Everyday

Our church does a Serve Day every July.  Our pastor says this is the one day he wants everyone who considers Church of the Highlands home to serve on this one day.  If you have read my blog enough you know that I eat, breathe and sleep outreach.  I found the Dream Center a few years ago.  Well, actually it found me.  I'm an adjunct professor at Highlands College.  One of my first students 5 years ago asked for prayer for an outreach he was doing at the Dream Center.  I asked if he needed help and he said sure.  I had the privilege of leading a few students to Christ that day.  I was hooked and went every time he had that outreach. 

The next May I was going through Step 4 of the Highlands Growth Track for the 5th time because I was going to start serving on the Online Campus Dream Team.  While I was there the student who was now on staff at the Dream Center named Kevin Farmer was at the Dream Center table with Pastor Jamil, the Woodlawn Campus pastor.  Jamil's wife worked at Highlands College and we knew each other.  They recruited me to go to the Dream Center and serve on one of the Saturday serves.  I went to the next one that happened to fall on the 2nd Saturday of the month.  I went out to this community called Kingston.  I sat back an observed as our team went door to door passing out groceries and inviting people to a block party.  After we knocked on a few doors I began speaking up to the people we were interacting with.

Next thing you know I had the opportunity to lead 2 or 3 people to Christ.  One of the Outreach people looked at me and said, "this is your first time?"  I said I'm kind of a ringer. lol.  I was hooked.  I kept coming back and said that I just wanted to go every month but didn't want to be on the leadership team.  Well, Robby Johnson wouldn't take no for an answer and so I've been serving as a Door-to-door leader for over 4 years. 

What I've learned is that God has given me a gift.  I don't know how to explain it.  It is not me.  I'm not a great salesman.  I'm an ok communicator.  But put me in an opportunity to share Jesus with people and the Holy Spirit kicks in.  So, Saturday our small group went with my team on Serve Day.  We saw 13 people give their lives to Christ just on our team!  Wow!  Serve Day is awesome, but serve day is every day.  I don't want to just minister on one day a year.  I want to share Jesus every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment