Saturday, February 23, 2019

Availability & Follow-through

Yesterday was an interesting one.   I was asked to visit an employee's cousin of one of the companies we serve in another town.  I got there and he was friendly and we talked for a while.  He is not a believer but has been open to God in the past.  He told me something tragic though.  He visited a church with his then-girlfriend and checked a box on the response card to have a staff member contact him.  They never did.  He took that as his sign that God wasn't interested him.  I am so grieved by that and hope I always follow-through.  I invited him to our church and when he gets out he is supposed to come with me.

Then, last night my wife and I went to a restaurant at the Summit on Hwy 280 in Birmingham.  We were enjoying our bread before the meal when our waiter comes over to refill the water in our glasses and the people next to us.  After he fills the water glasses of the people next to us he turns to us and starts telling us that this was his first night back at work.  He begins telling us that he was in a motorcycle accident two weeks earlier and that he was in a sling until yesterday.  He said, that God was watching over him.  Then he said, "I don't know why I felt led to tell you this."  Now, he didn't tell the other couple about this.  He told us.  My wife was smiling and I know what she was thinking.  When our waiter left, Cass looked about me and laughed.  I asked her, what just happened?   I didn't initiate the conversation like I often do.  It was very loud and not the time to try to witness to anyone.  Cass said you have an Aura around you.  I laughed and said it is the Holy Spirit.  When Shawn, our waiter came back, I asked more about his accident and it turned out he was in the Marines and had been stationed at Camp Lejeune for a short time.  I was the youth minister at a church in Jacksonville for 3 years.  I asked Shawn if he went to church anywhere and he said no.  I told him about our church, Church of the Highlands.  I gave him my number and invited him to come with us.  Then I pointed to one of our Highlands College students who was also a waiter.  I then told the student about Shawn and how I invited him to church.

Why did God drop this opportunity into our laps?  I don't know.  But I think it is because I pray every day for God to give me opportunities to share my faith.  I can't take any credit for what happened because I wasn't even thinking about sharing with Shawn.  But could it be that the Holy Spirit has anointed me for times like these?  I have no idea. 

Two things I learned from yesterday.  One, follow-through.  Two, be available.

No comments:

Post a Comment