Friday, March 8, 2019

Resolved

I'm reading in Daniel today and it is easy to miss some new thoughts in a passage that is so familiar.  Today I noticed something in Daniel 1:8:
But Daniel resolved not to defile himself with the royal food and wine, and he asked the chief official for permission not to defile himself this way.
I think the key part of Daniel's story is that he decided ahead of time how he would respond to sin and temptations.  This is not to say he was perfect, but he "resolved" that he would not do anything to dishonor God. 

Look at Daniel 2:14:
When Arioch, the commander of the king’s guard, had gone out to put to death the wise men of Babylon, Daniel spoke to him with wisdom and tact.
We need more Daniels today.  I had to get off of Facebook for almost a year during the 2016 elections.  Friends of mine were going at each other over the election.  Personally, I did not want to vote for anyone.  But what was missing was wisdom and tact.  It has not gotten any better.  Do we really think we are going to change someone's mind by arguing with them?  Do we think people are attracted to a Christianity that tears apart people on social media? 

I pray for wisdom every day.  I don't want my wisdom but God's wisdom.  Our world needs more followers of Jesus who will resolve ahead of time to live for God.  We need Godly wisdom and tact.

No comments:

Post a Comment