Monday, May 20, 2019

Everything I have is yours

Today my Bible study was again in Luke 15.  I studied the story of the loving father, the prodigal son and the older brother.  This passage is probably one of the most preached passages.  I can always relate to the older brother because I was never a rebellious person.  I'm sure if you went by being a good person I'm pretty good.  But the reality is no one is good.  I have my own flaws and sins that just some don't see.  I have to deal with pride because I have checked off a lot of boxes.  As I have grown my love for God has grown because He has seen it in is grace to mold me.  Some of the molding--well all of the molding has been difficult.  I wish you could become mature as a Christian the moment you give your life to Him. 

The older son was upset that the younger son blew all of his inheritance on prostitutes and wild living.  I have to admit there are times I rank sins.  That is a sin because it comes from pride and arrogance.  My sins are an abomination in the eyes of God.  I truly wish I wasn't that way.  I have been guilty of comparing.  But my sin caused Jesus to go the cross to pay for them.  I'm truly sorry for that.  My pride and Phariseeism can bet out of hand.  Thankfully, Jesus forgives me.  The older son didn't want to celebrate when his brother came back.  That is a story in itself.  Then the father confronted the older brother and said why aren't you at the party?  The older brother rattled off all of the junk his brother had done.  I've been there and done that. 

I love what the father tells him in Luke 15:31
My son,’ the father said, ‘you are always with me, and everything I have is yours.
Wow, when I think about that statement I'm humbled.  I have everything that God has.  When Jesus left earth the Father gave us the Holy Spirit.  Which means I have God living in me.  So I really do have everything.  I just need to remind myself that daily.  No, every minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment