Thursday, April 11, 2019

Small Groups

Our church is the 2nd largest in the US right behind Lifechurch.  Megachurches aren't for everyone.  I do think they get a bad rap.  Churches of all size are needed.  We enjoy our church because there are so many ministry opportunities available.  Some say that megachurches are impersonal.  I guess that can be true.  But I've been to small churches where not one person spoke to me.  At our church, I promise that you will be greeted by at least 10 people. 

What makes our church small and intimate is small groups.  Now the negative of small groups is that you have to make time away from Sunday services to attend.  We do not have a traditional Sunday School.  You have to make an effort to attend.  But what I love about our small group is that we have people who attend that I would have never met or become friends with.  It is an eclectic group.  That is a good thing.  We have two former pastors (me included) and a bunch of business professionals.  We have some who have been married for many years to the same person and those who have been married several times.  I learn from them about my own prejudices and points of view.  I think that is what God wants.  We need to get out of our own bubble and get stretched.

No comments:

Post a Comment