Saturday, December 29, 2018

As long as....

I loved Sweet Comfort Band as I was growing up.  They were a Contemporary Christian Band during the 70's and early 80's.  They had a song called "You Led Me To Believe."  The song is about a person who led the author of the song to Christ.  But at some point the person who left their faith.  The author of the song said that even though their friend fell away they were keeping the faith that they led them to.  I guess the song hits home because I've had a lot of friends who have turned their back on their calling and their relationship with God.

I was reading in 2 Chronicles 24 this morning and was struck by how Joash, the King of Judah followed God as long as Jehoiada, the priest was alive.  Jehoiada lived a life for God.  During his reign as priest the temple was repaired and the people worshiped God.  But as soon as Jehoiada died, Joash abandon everything he learned.  Eventually, he died a very painful death in his own bed.

When I was in seminary in Fort Worth, Texas, they told me at orientation that there were over 10,000 graduates of Southwestern seminary living in the Dallas-Fort Worth area that we're not serving on a church staff or and a para-church organization.  Now I have no idea the circumstances behind all of those 10,000 people.  However, people go to seminary and Bible school to be a vocational minister or at least bi-vocational.  I was very fortunate to grow up in a family that is still serving God today. But I can't rest on somebody else's faith. My faith must be my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment