Thursday, December 13, 2018

Leadership?

I've been a leadership junkie since I was in Seminary.  I went to seminary in Ft. Worth, TX  in 1992 and my Evangelism Professor, Dr. Roy Fish introduced this pastor from San Diego named John Maxwell. When I graduated I began reading every book he wrote and joined his cassette club called the INJOY Life Club.  I still read his books and podcasts as well as other leadership people like Patrick Lencioni, Jim Collins, Andy Stanley, and Craig Groeschel.

Now I'm enrolled in 2 colleges.  My D.Min classes have been challenging and focus more on ministry.  My Highlands College classes have focused more on Leadership.  Of course, I'm loving this.  One of our instructors is also the Pastor to the Pastors at our church.  He said you can't lead unless you learn to lead yourself.  The ironic thing is that I dropped out of leadership at my FT job last year.  Sort of by choice and sort of not.  We had a leadership change at the top and the new leader had a different vision. Not saying his vision is wrong, just different.  I had been in a leadership position since 1992.  Now, in 2018 I'm no longer leading anyone.  Well, I guess as Pastor Steve Blair says, I'm leading myself.

It is rather frustrating to listen to leadership books, podcasts, and messages but have nowhere to use what I'm learning.  Maybe God has me in this season to lead me.  I don't know.  Anyway, it is kind of depressing.  I still get calls from the guys I used to lead but I'm no longer their boss.  I'm not sure why God would put the desire to grow and lead but not have anywhere to use what I've learned.  I guess I'll just keep pressing forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment