Friday, December 21, 2018

Cost me nothing?

As I studied 1 Chronicles 21 I was struck by vs 18-ff.  David had sinned by taking a census just to boast about all that he had done. This was likely during the Bathsheba affair.  Up until that time, David won every battle.  But in chapter 20 it says that when kings usually go to battle David stayed back.  I believe David allowed pride to creep in. In fact, in 21 it says Satan was the one who incited of David to take a census.  Because of David's sin, 70,000 men lost their lives. When David realized to send he wanted to sacrifice to God. So he wanted to buy a threshing floor from Araunah.  Araunah wanted to give the land to David but in 1 Chronicles 21:24 David said:

But King David replied to Araunah, “No, I insist on paying the full price. I will not take for the Lord what is yours, or sacrifice a burnt offering that costs me nothing.” (NIV)
It got me to thinking about my own life.  How much do I really sacrifice.....I mean really sacrifice?  If we truly want to, God, it will cost us something. Jesus told us in Luke 9:23:

 Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me.
Taking up one's cross meant one thing to the disciples and those who were listening--Death.  We really don't suffer very much in the United States. We have our false sacrifices and persecutions.  But we live in our nice homes, drive nice cars, and complain about nothing to eat when we have more food than in our pantry then most of the world has for a year.  Very convicting.

No comments:

Post a Comment