Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Do I have a sign on my forehead?

I often joke to my friends that I must have a sign on my forehead that says “ask me for help.”  I often get people to stop me and ask them for money. Tonight on my way home from my doctoral class in Atlanta I stopped at the Dollar General to get a Powerade. On my way in a man named Sarah asked me for some change. He was a tall man and I just felt led to give him what I had on me.  I don’t normally do that. I usually just offered to buy them something but I don’t like to give away money. I asked him if he had a relationship with God he said yes he was sabed. But that’s not what I meant. He said that he did have a relationship with God and I went to the convenient store next-door to get some gas. As I was pumping my gas a lady name Chris was trying to get my attention. I had just given her all of the cash that I had on me to Cyrus.   Chris told me that most people won’t even look at her or acknowledge her and she thanked me for just acknowledging her. I listen to her story about how she had been in a bad car accident on interstate 20 and then after that we came home. She said she used to make $120,000 a year. I asked her if she had gone to any churches and asked for help or even the Salvation Army? She said yes and that she was actually staying in a hotel with another lady. I asked her about her relationship with God and she said that she was a believer. I asked her if I could pray for her and she said yes. So at the Citco in Lithonia prayed with Chris.

Something Chris said to me haunted me.  She wasn’t upset that I had no money on me.  She said she was glad that I just acknowledged her. I wonder how many people I ignore or a daily basis? Maybe that is all the people I want is to be noticed. I don’t know, but it makes me wonder. This incident I hope will change me. I pray that I will notice everybody and aknowledge them.  I can’t imagine how lonely it must be to be ignored by people.

No comments:

Post a Comment