Sunday, January 20, 2019

Silence

I'm not a fan of silence.  Ironically, I sleep with a fan on and have since college.  I used to have a radio or tv or something on at all times.  In recent years, I have learned the value of silence.  I drive around town often in total silence.  Last week when I came back from Atlanta, I drove the entire way back in silence.  I stopped listening to talk radio over 2 years ago.  I do listen to podcasts, worship music, and audiobooks while in the car.  However, it is not uncommon for me to drive in silence.

What I don't like is when God is silent.  I've posted about the many times God has spoken to me.  But there are times when I feel He is silent.  That is when I do introspection and see if there is sin in my life that I need to confess.  But often times God is silent and I've done nothing wrong.  I mean I'm all confessed up.  Why would God allow us to go through extended periods of silence?  I wish I knew the answer.  I believe it is to teach us.  King David dealt with the silence of God.  In Psalm 35:22, David asked God not to be silent. 

I feel like I've never been closer to God.  But at the same time, I sense He is silent.  Silent because I would like some direction on vocation and ministry.  All I can do is do my best and know that God is silent for some reason.  I don't have to like it.  God doesn't owe me an explanation.  But I can also ask God to speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment